Saturday, October 23, 2010

"The Silent Ranks"

This seems to be a recurring topic among military spouses, whether or not we are the silent rank. This poem, while very beautiful, does not make me feel like I carry any right to his rank.

The Silent Ranks
I wear no uniforms, no blues or army greens
But I am in the military in the ranks rarely seen
I have no rank upon my shoulders
Salutes I do not give
But the military world is the place where I live.

I'm not in the chain of command, orders I do not get
But my husband is the one that does,
this I cannot forget
I'm not the one who fires the weapon
who puts my life on the line
But my job is just as tough, I'm the one that's left behind.

My husband is a patriot, a brave and prideful man
and the call to serve his country, not all can understand.
Behind the lines I see the things needed
to keep this country free
My husband makes this sacrifice
but so do our kids and me.

I love the man I married, Soldiering is his life.
But I stand among the silent ranks
known as the military wife.



I am very proud of my husband and every thing he has and will do for our service men and women and for our country. He fought hard through a very serious medical condition to stay in the Navy. He wants nothing more than to deploy, save lives, be come an officer and continue saving lives until he is old and gray. I am a proud military wife, and yes that is a huge part of who I am...but it is not all that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment